Mar 3, 2014

Olive green anorak



I made an anorak jacket! It's my own design, and I drafted the pattern myself. Olive green anoraks are super popular right now and I really wanted one of my own. This one cost me around $20 in materials. I made a practice jacket out of some cotton fabric to figure out fitting issues first, then I worked on the jacket. It took me about 20 hours to put the whole thing together, and I'm really happy with the result. I wanted something big enough to wear over a hoodie, with a cinched waist, lots of pockets and a hood. 

I drafted the pattern using my measurements and a windbreaker that fits me well. I was inspired by this jacket by Madewell.  I'm really glad I decided to make a practice jacket before I started on the actual jacket fabric, because I made the back way too narrow at first! I used a sturdy cotton twill for the jacket shell, lightweight cotton print for the lining, and some elastic for the cinched waist. 

I managed to bag the lining (sort of) using this tutorial and some guesswork. I got it done, except for the sleeves. Somehow I managed to sew the sleeves in two big loops, so I had to go back, pick the seams for the sleeves apart, and sew them up properly: 







4 comments:

  1. Whoa, Sammy that's so cool! Super jealous right now. ;) You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that jacket... What a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete